Frequently Asked Questions

Select question to expand for the explanation.

I accidentally paid twice for my CHL training certificate.
Just send us an email to with a short explanation of the circumstances. We will investigate and refund any overpayment that was made.
I don’t have an Idaho concealed weapons license (CWL). How do I transport a handgun in a vehicle?
An Idaho resident 21 years of age or older, who qualifies for a CWL whether they possess a CWL or not, can carry a firearm in their vehicle. A non-resident must carry the firearm in such a manner that it is not reachable in the vehicle and the ammunition is located in a separate area.
What does concealed mean?
When any portion of a firearm is not in plain view. Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed.
How long is my Concealed Weapons License Valid?
Five years.
Does my concealed weapons license work outside the state of Idaho?
a. It depends on where you are travelling. You can access the Idaho State Police website and they list all states that recognize both the basic and enhanced Idaho CWL. Additionally, you can contact the area in which you plan to travel and determine if that jurisdiction recognizes your license.
After I pass the online course what do I do next?

a. Once you have completed the course, you will be directed to purchase your certificate or you can select the “certificate” tab on the homepage. Click “Add to Cart” and follow the prompts. Upon successful completion, your certificate will be processed and mailed to you within 3 business days.

A certificate obtained by completing this course does not guarantee you an Idaho CWL. Please contact a county sheriff’s office to ensure they will accept your application BEFORE spending money on this, or any other CWL course. The Idaho CWL system will use the email address you provide to email you login information, password resets when requested, and a receipt when you purchase your certificate on successful completion of the course.

Do private property owners and business owners have the right to prohibit all firearms from their property?
Yes, including concealed weapons license holders. It is recommended that the property owner clearly indicate the prohibition with signage.
Do I have to tell the police I am carrying a concealed weapon?
a. No, but it is recommended that if you are stopped by the police that you keep your hands where they can see them, indicate that you are carrying concealed and then follow the directions of the police.
What are the requirements for obtaining a basic concealed weapons license in the State of Idaho?

a. You must be 21 years of age or older and not have a legal condition that would prohibit you from possessing a firearm, such as charged with or convicted of a felony.
b. You cannot have been discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions, be a user of illicit drugs, subject to a protection order or be an illegal alien.
c. Idaho Code 18-3302(11) outlines all the reasons you cannot qualify for an Idaho CWL.

I am a veteran with a DD214; does that satisfy the competency requirement for my application?
a. Maybe. This and other documents such as the completion of a hunter safety class may satisfy the requirement of familiarity with firearms to obtain your basic CWL. Check with your local sheriff’s office before applying for a CWL.
Does Idaho recognize any other state’s concealed weapons/handgun licenses?
Yes. Idaho recognizes all other states concealed weapon’s licenses.
What will the concealed weapons license allow me to do?
A CWL allows you to carry a loaded or unloaded handgun or other deadly weapon concealed upon your person or concealed within your control in a car or other means of transportation. It’s important to note than an Idaho resident 21 years of age or older who qualifies for a basic CWL can carry concealed without a license.
Does a concealed weapons license allow me to carry any weapon?
No. This is a concealed handgun license only. See ORS 166.210(5) for the definition of a handgun.
Where do I find more about Idaho concealed weapons license laws?
a. You can go to the Idaho Sheriffs Association website at or the Idaho State Police website at
Are there places I can't carry my handgun concealed?

a. Yes. There are several locations in which you cannot carry a firearm, even with a concealed weapon’s license, including:
• Any federal facility – federal courthouses, social security offices, secured areas of airports and airplanes.
• Many private businesses have conditions regarding the possession or firearms on their premises. If you violate these conditions you could, under certain circumstances, be subject to arrest under Idaho trespass laws, in which case, if convicted, your concealed weapon’s license would be revoked.
• National parks marked or posted with signs prohibiting all firearms.
• Indian reservations or property. You may not carry a firearm concealed without the written permission of the tribal judge; this may also apply to certain casinos on tribal lands.
• Courts, in a courtroom, jury room, judge’s chambers, or adjacent areas that the presiding judge determines should be free of firearms to ensure the safety of litigants, court personnel, witnesses, and others.

PLEASE NOTE: If you plan to carry your weapon, it is important to research the requirements at these locations before you go. If in doubt, contact the facility you plan to visit to obtain their policy.

If my concealed weapons license application is denied or my concealed weapons license is revoked, can I appeal?

a. There is no specific language in Idaho Code that applies to the denial of a CWL application. Generally, the reason for denial can be reviewed by the sheriff’s office based on the specific complaint by the applicant. For example, a denial may be based on incorrect criminal background information. This can be remedied by the applicant alerting the sheriff’s office and a recheck being done. A civil action can be filed by the complainant if he or she wishes to pursue the denial.

b. CWL revocations are guided by Idaho Code 18-3302 (22) subsequent to a hearing in accordance with the provisions of Idaho Code 67 Chapter 52.